Monday, February 23, 2015

Mirror Shelf DIY


Let me start by saying a few things. First off I can't take full credit for this DIY. I saw it on The Sweetest Thing blog a while back and loved it so much I just had to make one of my own. Second, I did this on Valentine's Day after a couple glasses of wine. Therefore, I will tell you my mistakes, and how not to repeat what I did. Finally yet importantly, I am very impressed with myself for doing this on my own especially after a couple of glasses of wine.

To start you will need:
Screwdriver

I got my cube organizer from Walmart, but they literally sell them everywhere. I then wandered aimlessly for close to an hour looking for the mirrors, (partly because I really wanted to find them, and partly because I was on the phone with my BFF). They didn't carry them at the Walmart I was at and neither did any other Walmart close to me. Therefore, when I got home I looked on the Internet. I finally found some similar ones at Home Depot. My advice would be to just go to Home Depot; because A. most Walmart's do not carry these mirrors and B. you cannot order them online. The next day I went and got my mirrors and that night I built the organizer.
It's simple and all you need is a screwdriver. My advice here would be to first make sure you put all the pieces the right way. In addition, what I mean by this is every shelf has a colored side and you obviously want that facing out. I didn't mess up this time, but have previous experience with similar items and have made that mistake before. After that I started to glue the mirrors down. Word of advice I would lay all the mirrors down first to make sure they are positioned right. I didn't do this and it caused a little overlapping, but its ok. If you do jump right in and there is overlapping I will tell you how to fix that later. You also want to lay them all down first because I glued one and tried to pull it off and as a result broke one of the mirrors. My initial thought was "Oh no seven years bad luck!!" Later that night I realized "Oh no I cut my hands really bad!" #oops. Anyway, once you lay all the mirrors out you can glue them. I then let it dry overnight just to be on the safe side. The next morning I decided that because there were gaps from the overlapping and I didn't want to risk the mirrors falling off I filled the gaps with glue. (If this doesn't make sense see photo 6 below.) After you let all the glue dry you're good to go.
These are great for your bedroom, living room, office, or anywhere else you can think of.





(I would recommend cleaning all the mirrors before gluing them down)



(This is where I was talking about filling in all gaps with glue)






Sorry that was so long. If y'all decide to make this and have any questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

XO
Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment